2021 is almost over.
Fairfax County was beseiged by cicadas and controversy over its new police chief, overhauled its zoning code, and committed to reducing its carbon footprint. Students returned to in-person classes, while school board members faced — and survived — recall campaigns.
In the Tysons area, notable developments included plenty of, well, development, from the approval of plans for McLean and West Falls Church to Capital One Hall’s arrival as a major performing arts venue. Tysons Corner Center hosted a mass vaccination center, and Tysons Galleria welcomed Black Santa to one store while revamping another.
Before you prepare for whatever 2022 may have in store, let’s take a look back at Tysons Reporter’s top 10 most-read stories of the past year:
- CVS to offer COVID-19 vaccine in Fairfax County starting this week
- Source of mysterious bug bites still unconfirmed, Fairfax County health experts say
- McLean Safeway set to close in April, will be replaced by Lidl
- Amphora Restaurant takes a bow after 40 years in Vienna
- Pet of the Week: Annie
- Fairfax County moves to next set of vaccine appointments, aims for faster pace
- Fairfax County seeks funding to forge one ring binding Seven Corners
- Fairfax County to launch new vaccine registration system after overwhelming demand jams system
- Starr Hill Brewery will anchor ‘The Perch,’ Capital One Center’s skypark in Tysons
- D.C. favorite Italian deli is planning an expansion to Tysons
Face masks (via Mika Baumeister/Unsplash) Fairfax County Public Schools plans to maintain its mask mandate despite Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s executive order removing masking requirements in schools across the state. The…
Petersen Asks Youngkin to Support Dominion Bill — Chap Petersen, who represents Vienna as the state senator for the 34th District, called on new Gov. Glenn Youngkin to join an…
Reston Parkway and Sunset Hills with snow on the roadway (via VDOT) Roadways in Fairfax County are covered in snow after flurries first started to fall around 1 p.m. and…
Expected snowfall for D.C. area on Jan. 16-17 (via National Weather Service/Twitter) (Updated at 11:55 a.m.) A Winter Weather Advisory has been issued for Fairfax County, as the D.C. area…