With New Year’s Day arriving this Saturday, many Fairfax County government facilities and services will be taking tomorrow (Friday) off.
Here is a breakdown of the county’s schedule for the New Year’s holiday:
County Government Offices
- Most offices will be closed throughout the day on New Year’s Eve.
Fairfax County Public Schools
- Schools remain closed for the winter break. Classes are scheduled to resume on Monday (Jan. 3).
- The Gatehouse Administrative Center is hosting a drive-through diagnostic testing site from noon to 4 p.m. today (Thursday) and tomorrow. Students should be registered online in advance.
Fairfax County Public Library
- All branches will be closed on both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
- The Fairfax County Circuit Court and General District Court will observe the New Year’s holiday by closing both today (Thursday) and tomorrow.
- The Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court is open today, but it will be closed for New Year’s Eve.
County Parks and Recreation Centers
- All parks and RECenters will be closed on New Year’s Day.
- On New Year’s Eve, all RECenters will be open from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. except for the George Washington Rec Center in Alexandria, which will be closed. The Sully Historic Site will be open from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., but otherwise, local park facilities will be closed.
Community and Senior Centers
- All Neighborhood and Community Services facilities will be closed from Friday through Sunday (Jan. 2).
- The Cathy Hudgins Community Center at Southgate has modified hours today, closing at 5 p.m. instead of 8 p.m.
- The Pimmit Hills Senior Center is already closed until Jan. 3, and as of Tuesday (Dec. 28), the South County senior and teen centers have been closed until further notice “due to COVID-19 conditions,” according to the website.
- The McLean and Reston community centers are both closed for New Year’s Eve and Day.
Trash and Recycling
- Fairfax County’s trash and recycling collection schedule will not be affected on New Year’s Eve, though residents who use private haulers should contact those companies directly.
- The Department of Public Works and Environmental Services will close its administrative office starting tomorrow, reopening at 7:30 a.m. on Monday.
- The I-66 Transfer Station and I-95 Landfill Complex will close at 2 p.m. tomorrow and remain closed through New Year’s Day.
- Fairfax Connector will follow a Saturday service schedule tomorrow and Saturday. See the website for details about what routes will be available.
- FASTRAN shuttles will not operate on New Year’s Eve or Day.
- For New Year’s Eve, Metrorail will start service two hours later than a standard weekday, operating from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. On New Year’s Day, trains will run from 7 a.m. to midnight.
- Metrobus will use a Sunday schedule for New Year’s Eve before following its typical Saturday schedule on New Year’s Day.
Photo via Moritz Knöringer/Unsplash
The Town of Vienna has now committed about a third of the $7 million bequeathed by late councilmember Maud Robinson for building sidewalks to specific projects. As of Aug. 2,……
The Town of Vienna has now committed about a third of the $7 million bequeathed by late councilmember Maud Robinson for building sidewalks to specific projects. As of Aug. 2,…
For the second time in as many years, the McLean Community Center is in need of a new executive director. Daniel Singh resigned from the position on July 26, but…
People walk by Caffi Field, a football field in Vienna (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Driver in Fatal Franconia Crash Charged With Manslaughter — Sara Flores, 20, of Lorton was…