The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve scoured the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Though many in-person events are canceled, organizations and businesses are setting up digital events to keep people occupied.
For people interested in on-demand activities, the Fairfax County Park Authority is offering digital classes, scavenger hunts and activities for people of all ages. The Virtual Exploration Center lets people stream workout classes, and each week staffers will introduce a featured activity.
Tuesday (May 5)
- Ladies’ Night — Victory Comics is hosting a virtual Ladies’ Night book club at 7 p.m. for people interested in reading “Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History of Women’s Fight for Their Rights.” This free event invites people from around town to join the conversation.
Thursday (May 7)
- The New Yorker Discussion Group — The Mary Styles Public Library is hosting a free Zoom conversation from 2-3 p.m. for people who are fans of The New Yorker. This week’s article of discussion will be “Why Americans are Dying from Despair” by Atul Gawande from the March 23 issue.
- Online Trivia with The Boro — The Boro, DC Fray and District Fray Magazine will team up to offer people a free trivia session on cities, 2000 music and Disney from 7:30-9:30 p.m. People need a computer and phone to participate. Participants have the chance to win a $50 e-gift card to Whole Foods.
- Virtual Romance Book Club — One more Page Books is hosting a free book club at 7 p.m. for people reading “An Extraordinary Union: An Epic Love Story of the Civil War.” Anyone interested can sign up online and receive a link via email, the page said.
Friday (May 8)
- Food Truck Friday Pickup Dinner — From 5-8 p.m. at Avalon Tysons Corner (1569 Onyx Drive), Curbside Kitchen is going to offer ready-made meals with no-contact pickup. Foodies who want a change of pace have the opportunity to try a new locally made dish.
- Adult Game Night on Zoom — The Emmanuel Lutheran Church is hosting a digital game night for the community from 7-8 p.m. People can RSVP and receive a link to play trivia and Jeopardy, the event page said.
Saturday (May 9)
- Theatrical Teens! Virtual Improv Workshop — From 2-3:30 p.m., kids ages 11-15 can take part in a virtual workshop. Registration is $18, and the event signup can be found online.
- Virtual UUAM Social Gathering and Farm Tour — The Unitarian Universalist Animal Ministry in Vienna is offering people a chance to connect with animals digitally from 6:30-8 p.m. thanks to an organization out of Colorado. People might have the chance to e-meet cows, pigs, sheep, goats, turkeys, chickens, ducks, horses, a chukar partridge and a llama, the page said. This event is free but participants must register to receive a Zoom invite.