Five months after it was destroyed in a fire, the ruined husk of the Marco Polo restaurant building in Vienna has finally been completely demolished.
It’s unclear when demolition began, but by March 19 most of the rubble had been removed from the site.
The restaurant was originally built in 1954. In 2015, local developer Doug D’Alexander applied to have the lot redeveloped as Vienna Market, but the application failed. A more scaled-down version was presented in 2017 and was approved.
The development plans were complicated an alleged intentionally-set fire that gutted the building. Two teenagers were later arrested and charged with setting the fire as part of a vandalism spree.
The charred remains were left as a visible blight along Maple Avenue, though Vienna staff said plans for development are still in the works.
In January, Cindy Petkac, director of planning and zoning for the Town of Vienna, said the building was expected to be demolished within the month.
Vienna residents remembered the building, a longtime local prom-date spot, fondly.
Marco Polo… Vienna will always remember you fondly…. I think we all have had first dates, and prom dates, and meeting here over the years… Thank you for your service!
— Vienna Business Association (@vba_vienna) March 17, 2019