It’s been a troubled year for the Tysons Galleria’s third floor, but today’s grand opening of the new Taste of Urbanspace has seemingly brought the saga to a close.
One year ago, the space opened as Isabella Eatery, a series of restaurants spread out across a wide swath of the third floor. Owned by celebrity chef Mike Isabella, the ambitious project earned its namesake a New York Times profile, but a sexual assault lawsuit against Isabella and a year of declining sales left the space empty by August this year.
Less than month ago, New York-based UrbanSpace announced it would be taking over the space and filling it with a selection of restaurant favorites from throughout the region.
Today, five of the eight restaurants planned for the food hall are open for businesses. The new restaurants fill the same spaces as the former occupants, some in similar roles.
- Stomping Ground — A coffee shop and bistro in Alexandria’s Del Ray neighborhood.Sen Hao
- Sen Khao — A new location from the owners of the Laotian restaurant Thip Khao in Columbia Heights.
- Donburi — A Japanese rice bowl restaurant with locations in Adams Morgan and Dupont Circle.
- Ice Cream Jubilee — An ice cream location with locations on the Capitol Riverfront and 14th Street NW, with another location soon to open in Ballston Quarter’s food hall.
- Andy’s Pizza — A pizza-by-the-slice shop from the D.C. frozen pizza company Eat Pizza.
Ice Cream Jubilee is hosting a grand opening celebration this Sunday, Dec. 9, from 12-4 p.m. Those who RSVP can get free ice cream.
The decor remains much the same. In some places, new stickers are peeling from where they were taped over the old wallpaper.
Fairfax Connector has unveiled three holiday bus wraps, including one featuring cookies (courtesy Fairfax County Department of Transportation) Fairfax Connector will pull into the Fairfax County Government Center soon for…
(Updated at 4:05 p.m.) A coffee shop inspired by Saudi Arabia’s cafe culture is now bringing that hip energy to both Tysons malls. Shotted has gained a loyal following, especially…
This biweekly column is sponsored by The Mather in Tysons, Virginia, a forward-thinking Life Plan Community for those 62 and better. For many, the holiday season includes traditions, expectations, commitments —…
The Fairfax County Adult Detention Center (staff photo by Jay Westcott) A Tysons man who got arrested for allegedly possessing illegal guns is now also facing child pornography charges. The…