Updated at 4:50 p.m. — The gas leak at Dolley Madison Library has stopped, and all Fairfax County Fire and Rescue units have returned to service, the department has reported.
Washington Gas said in a statement that it discovered a gas line had been damaged by a contractor, but the company was able to stop the flow of gas around 3:30 p.m., and it’s now working to repair the line. There has been no impact to customers other than the library, and service will be restored there after repairs are complete.
Earlier: Dolley Madison Library and the McLean Community Center have been evacuated due to a gas leak at the library, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department says.
Both facilities have been closed, as has a stretch of Ingleside Avenue by Oak Ridge Avenue.
Fire department units are currently on the scene at 1244 Oak Ridge Avenue in McLean. The department says a gas pipeline was struck by workers, but so far, the identity of the workers and the project they were involved with is unclear.
In a 2:33 p.m. update, FCFRD shared that the line is 2 inches in size, and the leak had been stabilized with no injuries reported. Washington Gas has arrived at the scene and is currently working to stop the leak.
MCC says the Old Firehouse Center will still be open for its after school program.
Traffic on Ingleside Avenue by Oak Ridge is being diverted.
Units on scene of a gas leak in the 1200 block of Oak Ridge Avenue- Dolley Madison Library. Unknown size gas line hit by workers. Library and McLean Community Center evacuated as a precaution. Ingleside Ave closed from 1235 Ingleside Ave to Dolley Madison. Avoid area. #FCFRD pic.twitter.com/6oWe3jl6kE
— Fairfax County Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) October 14, 2021
FYI #Fairfax: We are sorry to report that our Dolley Madison branch is closed this afternoon due to a facility issue. pic.twitter.com/qrVWmEooXF
— Fairfax Library (@fairfaxlibrary) October 14, 2021
A closure announcement from today, October 14: pic.twitter.com/DGe050vg42
— McLean Community Center (@mcleanvacenter) October 14, 2021
David Taube contributed to this report.
Route 7 Construction Leads to Gas Leak — Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units were dispatched to the 9100 block of Leesburg Pike yesterday afternoon (Monday) when workers “struck a large gas line,” resulting in an outside gas leak. A building at that address was vacant, and the incident did not affect traffic. [FCFRD/Twitter]
McLean Resident Helps Neighbors Get COVID-19 Vaccine — “Over the past week and a half, [Katja] Hom has helped more than 30 people get vaccination appointments at Safeways in McLean, Arlington, Vienna and other parts of Northern Virginia.” [Patch]
Virginia Tech to End Therapy Program at Falls Church Campus — “The master’s program in marriage and family therapy (MFT) will end in August 2023, the university told the Washington Business Journal. The program’s clinic, at 7054 Haycock Road, which provides low-cost mental health services to low-income residents and training opportunities for students, will also shut down.” [Washington Business Journal]
Fairfax County Police Hit With Civil Rights Violation Lawsuit — “A Black man who was Tasered and punched by a White Fairfax County police officer without apparent provocation in 2020 filed a federal lawsuit Monday claiming his civil rights were violated, he was subject to excessive force, and he was falsely arrested.” [The Washington Post]
ViVa Vienna Organizers Hopeful for Memorial Day Weekend Event — Organizers of the Town of Vienna’s annual ViVa Vienna festival hope to hold the event on Memorial Day weekend as usual, after Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam raised the attendance limit on outdoor amusements from 250 to 1,000 people. The festival will likely still operate a little differently to accommodate social distancing protocols. The town will determine a date on Apr. 5. [Sun Gazette]
Fairfax County Board Chair Praises New Federal COVID-19 Relief Package — “Glad to see that the Senate support Americans through @POTUS’s American Rescue Plan. With the $350B to state/local govs, we can continue to provide the assistance our residents need.” [@JeffreyCMcKay/Twitter]
Staff photo by Jay Westcott
Updated 3:05 p.m. — Around 3 p.m., the fire department tweeted that the gas leak has stopped and the road closure should end soon.
Several residents have been evacuated following a gas leak that crews are working to fix in Tysons this afternoon.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue tweeted shortly after 1 p.m. that crews were working on the leaking four-inch gas line at Gallows Branch Road and Kidwell Drive.
About 30 minutes later, the fire department added that nearby residents had been evacuated “in [an] abundance of caution” and that the gas company’s crews were working to fix the leak.
Because of the leak, Gallows Road at Gallows Branch Road is closed and drivers can expect delays, the fire department tweeted.
People should avoid the area, according to the fire department.
UPDATE: leak stopped. Situation stable. Most units returning to service. Gallows Road/Gallows Branch Road should be open soon. Avoid area. Expect delays. #FCFRD #traffic https://t.co/OQVqqJi4BC
— Fairfax Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) June 29, 2020
Photo via Fairfax Fire/Rescue/Twitter
A gas leak has closed the eastbound lanes of Leesburg Pike by The Boro in Tysons.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue crews are on the scene of a gas leak in the 8400 block of Leesburg Pike that was caused by construction crews hitting a gas line, the fire department tweeted.
“Units shutting down eastbound Leesburg Pike (Rte. 7) and Gosnell Road,” the tweet said.
The eastbound lanes of Leesburg Pike have been shut down, according to Fairfax Alerts.
Map via Google Maps
(Updated at 12:40 p.m.) Construction crews hit a gas line, causing a gas leak in McLean this morning (Wednesday).
Units from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue and the Arlington County Fire Department responded to the outside gas leak in the Franklin Park neighborhood at North Nottingham Street and Virginia Avenue around 10 a.m., according to a Fairfax County fire department tweet.
“Workers struck a 2-inch gas line,” the tweet said, adding that the leak did not affect nearby homes.
“Situation currently under control. Crews awaiting gas company,” the tweet said.
About 30 minutes later, Fairfax County Fire and Rescue tweeted that the leak had been stopped.
UPDATE: Leak has beeb stopped. Most units are returning to service. #FCFRD #FairfaxCounty https://t.co/1gXgArq3Cr
— Fairfax Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) August 14, 2019
Map via Google Maps
A gas line rupture near the Mosaic District has prompted at least one road closure.
Eskridge Road is closed between Lee Highway and Williams Drive, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, after workers struck what is believed to be a two-inch gas line at the intersection of Eskridge and Merrifield Town Center.
Firefighters have established a “safety perimeter” and are checking nearby buildings, including adjacent townhomes.
Drivers are being encouraged to avoid the area.
UPDATE – gas leak on Eskridge Rd at Merrifield Town Center: situation stable and under control. Awaiting arrival of @washingtongas . Some units are going back in service. #fcfrd #news https://t.co/OuiSIBZMlv
— Fairfax Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) November 26, 2018
Map via Google Maps