Updated at 4:50 p.m. — The gas leak at Dolley Madison Library has stopped, and all Fairfax County Fire and Rescue units have returned to service, the department has reported.
Washington Gas said in a statement that it discovered a gas line had been damaged by a contractor, but the company was able to stop the flow of gas around 3:30 p.m., and it’s now working to repair the line. There has been no impact to customers other than the library, and service will be restored there after repairs are complete.
Earlier: Dolley Madison Library and the McLean Community Center have been evacuated due to a gas leak at the library, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department says.
Both facilities have been closed, as has a stretch of Ingleside Avenue by Oak Ridge Avenue.
Fire department units are currently on the scene at 1244 Oak Ridge Avenue in McLean. The department says a gas pipeline was struck by workers, but so far, the identity of the workers and the project they were involved with is unclear.
In a 2:33 p.m. update, FCFRD shared that the line is 2 inches in size, and the leak had been stabilized with no injuries reported. Washington Gas has arrived at the scene and is currently working to stop the leak.
MCC says the Old Firehouse Center will still be open for its after school program.
Traffic on Ingleside Avenue by Oak Ridge is being diverted.
Units on scene of a gas leak in the 1200 block of Oak Ridge Avenue- Dolley Madison Library. Unknown size gas line hit by workers. Library and McLean Community Center evacuated as a precaution. Ingleside Ave closed from 1235 Ingleside Ave to Dolley Madison. Avoid area. #FCFRD pic.twitter.com/6oWe3jl6kE
— Fairfax County Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) October 14, 2021
— Fairfax Library (@fairfaxlibrary) October 14, 2021
A closure announcement from today, October 14: pic.twitter.com/DGe050vg42
— McLean Community Center (@mcleanvacenter) October 14, 2021
David Taube contributed to this report.
A tractor-trailer caught fire on I-495 this afternoon (Wednesday), shutting down all southbound lanes at the Route 50 interchange in Merrifield. The fire appears to have sparked right as the…
Judges have named The Mather in Tysons, as the recipient of an Award of Merit for the 2022 Gold Nugget Awards, which honors architectural design and planning excellence from around…
This weekend, McLean got its first Fourth of July fireworks since the COVID-19 pandemic began in 2020 — only no one was around to see them. The McLean Community Center…
Caroline Edasis (left) and Marcy Maler guide Mather residents in Aging Well through vibrant and colorful creative arts programming. This biweekly column is sponsored by The Mather in Tysons, Virginia, a…