The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean, and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Tuesday (July 13)
- Kids on the Green — 10 a.m. at the Vienna Town Green (144 Maple Ave. E) — Vienna’s annual kids’ summer program presents a demonstration of Japanese Taiko drumming featuring performer Mark Rooney. The event is part of the final Liberty Amendments Month week celebrating the 19th Amendment, which extended voting rights to women.
Wednesday (July 14)
- Stargazing 101 — 6 p.m. — Office tenants at The Boro can join University of Maine professor Shawn Laatsch for an evening of stargazing. The family event is perfect to learn about star gazing before any summer camping trips. Register online ahead of time.
Thursday (July 15)
- Summer Live Music Series: Deanna Dove — 5:30-8 p.m. on the Upper Promenade near Boro Park (8350 Broad St.) — This week’s live music performance at The Boro features multi-genre artist Deanna Dove. RSVP for more information.
- Films in the Park: Grease — 7:30-9:30 p.m. at Strawberry Park (2910 District Ave.) — The Mosaic District’s Films in the Park series continues with Grease starring John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John. The film is rated PG and will run for one hour and fifty minutes. Grab your picnic blanket and join your neighbors at Strawberry Park for a movie night!
- Concerts in the Park: Andrew Acosta — 7-9 p.m. at Cherry Hill Park (312 Park Ave.) — This week’s Concert in the Park in Falls Church features Andrew Acosta, a Falls Church native who is bringing his guitar to serenade his home town. Email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
Friday (July 16)
- Cinderella/Sāvitri in Concert — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Wolf Trap pairs Pauline Viardot’s one-act take on “Cinderella” with Gustav Holst’s chamber opera “Savitri” for a concert featuring a chamber orchestra led by Kelly Kuo. Tickets will be sold in socially distanced pods for two to eight people with no single tickets available. Questions can be directed to Wolf Trap’s patron services at 703-255-1868 or email [email protected].
Saturday (July 17)
- Preservation Hall Jazz Band at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Wolf Trap will host the Preservation Hall Jazz Band, which has been a staple of New Orleans music for over 50 years. Tickets will be sold in socially distanced pods for two to eight people.
- Vienna Multicultural Festival — 2-7 p.m. on Church Street — Vienna’s 2021 Multicultural Festival closes out the inaugural Liberty Amendment Month with a day-long festival celebrating the diverse cultures and communities across Northern Virginia. The event will offer food vendors, crafts, interactive activities, and a variety of musical performances.
Sunday (July 18)
- Summer Sunday Concert — 5 p.m. at McLean Central Park Gazebo (1468 Dolley Madison Blvd.) — Next up in McLean’s Summer Concert Series is The Sensational Soul Cruisers: A Tribute to Motown. The 11 horn players and four vocalists pay homage to the best of the 60s, 70s and 80s.
- Big Tony and Trouble Funk — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Wolf Trap presents Big Tony and Trouble Funk and their worldwide famous go-go music. Tickets will be sold in socially distanced pods for two to eight people.
- Grind Day — 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Colvin Run Mill (10017 Colvin Run Road) — The Colvin Run Mill will be up and running as it did in 1811 for guests to come see it operate and learn about its history. The program runs on the hour, and the cost is $60 per family. Guests should register in advance. For more information on this event, call 703-759-2771.
Photo via Preservation Hall Jazz Band/Facebook
It’s going to be a cold and rainy weekend in Fairfax County, thanks to Tropical Storm Ophelia. Tracking to make landfall in North Carolina today (Friday), the storm is expected to reach Northern Virginia tonight.
Alo Yoga is one of three clothing stores to open in Tysons Galleria this September (courtesy Alo Yoga) Tysons Galleria’s commitment to serving up high-end retail continues with the recent…
The Boro in Tysons (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Fairfax County is considering a pilot program to support more murals in its commercial revitalization areas. The pilot program, called Paint…
The current Maple Avenue streetscape across from the Vienna Town Green (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Generally speaking, florals for spring may not be groundbreaking, but the Town of Vienna…