The Weekly Planner is a roundup of the most interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
Tuesday (April 9)
- Free Cone Day — 12-8 p.m. at Ben & Jerry’s (136 Maple Avenue W) — The Vienna Ben & Jerry’s is hosting a Free Cone Day in partnership with local nonprofit The Committee for Helping Others. Anyone who comes in for free ice cream can donate to the group.
- Solarize Community Forum — 7:30 p.m. at Vienna Town Hall (127 Center Street S) — Local residents and business owners are invited out to a discussion with Solarize NoVa on the economics behind going solar.
Wednesday (April 10)
- Open House Tasting — 5-6 p.m. at Bards Alley (110 Church Street NW) — The Bard’s Alley bookstore in Vienna is hosting an open house testing with local vendors offering a selection of soups, hummus, desserts and more. Drink specials will also be on offer. The event is free to attend with no reservation required.
Thursday (April 11)
- Columbine 20 Years Later — 7:30-9 p.m. at Westbriar Elementary (1741 Pine Valley Drive) — Moms Demand Action’s Virginia chapter is hosting a retrospective on the Columbine shooting. Two women who lived through the experience, a teenager at the school and a local psychologist, are scheduled to discuss their experiences and take a look at what’s changed since then.
Friday (April 12)
- Film Distribution and Finance Seminar — 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Angelika Film Center (2911 District Ave) — The NOVA Fest and Capital Film Market are hosting a seminar for people interested in getting involved in the movie-making business. Agents will be on hand to talk about how people with films or scripts they’re looking to sell can connect with the right producers. Tickets are $26.
- Family Flashlight Egg Hunt — 7:30 p.m. at Glyndon Park (300 Glyndon Street NE) — Bring a flashlight and a basket for Vienna’s evening egg hunt. The hunt starts at dark, with a visit by the Easter Bunny at 8 p.m. Tickets are $3 per child with a limit of six per family.
Saturday (April 13)
- Record Store Day — 9 a.m.-9:30 p.m. at Records and Rarities in Tysons Corner Center — Records and Rarities is hosting “Record Store Day”, a celebration with 10 percent off all used vinyl, free coffee and cinnamon buns, and several prizes and giveaways. The line is planned to start at 7:30 a.m. outside the store.
- Masters’ Putt-Pong Tournament — 12-2 p.m. at Brandbox in Tysons Corner Center — Chubbie’s is hosting a two-on-two putt-pong tournament. The game is a riff on party classic beer-pong, but with golf accouterment. All participants will receive a free cooler bag and $5 off any casual stretch shorts. The tournament is the first of a series of events at the mall’s BrandBox events.
- The Last Bison and Broke Royals — 8 p.m. at Jammin Java (227 Maple Ave E) — Indie folk band The Last Bison is scheduled to perform at Jammin’ Java. Tickets are $15 for general admission or $25 for premier tickets.
Sunday (April 14)
- Sesame Street Sing-a-Long — 11:15 a.m.-12 p.m. at Nordstrom Tysons Corner Center (8075 Tysons Corner Center) — Sesame Street Live — a show coming to the Eagle Bank Arena in Fairfax on May 4 — is hosting a free show at the Tysons Corner Center Nordstrom. Attendees can also save $5 on the main show in May.
- Paint for Pups and Kitties — 12-2:15 p.m. at Muse Paintbar (2920 District Avenue) — A paint and sip event at the Muse Paintbar in the Mosaic District will raise money for City Dogs Rescue and City Cats. Tickets are $45.
Photo via Facebook
The weekend is almost here. Before you peek into the spirit realm or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit recent news from the Tysons area that you…
The Fairfax County Department of Transportation has extended the Oct. 18 deadline for its community survey on proposed changes to bus service in Centreville, Chantilly, Vienna, Tysons, and neighboring areas,…
Portales Aloso waited an hour on Tuesday (Oct. 19) for a Metro train from Reston into D.C. The wait on Wednesday was 20 minutes. He was among countless commuters in…
Luxury electric vehicle manufacturer Lucid Motors passed a crucial step yesterday (Wednesday) toward getting its first service and delivery center in the D.C. area. The company is seeking to open…