The Tysons Corner Center ice skating rink won’t be coming back this year, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t still options to put on those skates and hit the ice.
Ranked by proximity to the Tysons Corner Center, site of the former rink, these are your skating alternatives throughout the region:
- SkateQuest (1800 Michael Faraday Ct) — An indoor ice-skating rink 8 miles/12 minutes away in Reston. The skating rink offers public skating sessions over the weekends and during lunch on Wednesday and Friday. SkateQuest also has various types of skating classes and pick-up hockey games Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
- Fairfax Ice Arena (3779 Pickett Road) — An 8 mile/15 minute drive south of Tysons.
- MedStar Capitals Iceplex (627 N Glebe Rd) — An 8 mile/15 minute drive to Arlington’s Ballston neighborhood, though that time estimate could vary considerably with traffic on I-66. Like SkateQuest, the rink offers public skating on weekends as well as pick-up hockey games.
- Reston Town Center Ice Skating Pavilion (1818 Discovery St) — A 10 mile/13 minute drive from Tysons to Reston Town Center, if you’re willing to take the Dulles Toll Road. This is the closest choice for those looking for the outdoor plaza skating experience.
- Pentagon Row Outdoor Ice Skating (1201 S Joyce St) — A 13 mile/20 minute drive from Tysons, this Arlington ice skating rink bills itself as the largest outdoor rink in Northern Virginia and the second largest rink in the state.
Photo via Facebook
A Youth Art Exhibition at Dulles Airport showcases work by Fairfax County students (courtesy McLean Project for the Arts) Before enduring the indignities of modern airport security, people flying out…
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. Are you an inspired foodie like…
The clock is ticking for Fairfax County and the D.C. region to adopt a new transportation plan aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. This past June, the National Capital Region…
Giant Food in Vienna (via Google Maps) A man who allegedly fired a gun during a family dispute in the parking lot of Vienna’s Giant Food has been arrested, the…
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.
The Rhea Baker State Farm Agency is proud to support Shelter House in providing safe places to be during quarantine. Shelter House’s mission is to prevent and end homelessness and domestic violence. Right now they are providing over 200 hotel rooms to those in need in our community. In the past year, across all programs, Shelter House served nearly 500 households comprised of over 1,500 individuals, 60% of which were children.
Of the households that exited shelter, over 70% moved to permanent housing. The Baker Agency has served Vienna and Tysons residents and business owners since 2007 and proudly offers insurance solutions for you home, condo, auto insurance, life insurance and more. We offer complimentary reviews and coach teen drivers to safer, better drivers, and to help keep your auto insurance rates down! We are always happy to talk or text at 703-847-6880.