The Tysons Corner Center ice skating rink won’t be coming back this year, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t still options to put on those skates and hit the ice.
Ranked by proximity to the Tysons Corner Center, site of the former rink, these are your skating alternatives throughout the region:
- SkateQuest (1800 Michael Faraday Ct) — An indoor ice-skating rink 8 miles/12 minutes away in Reston. The skating rink offers public skating sessions over the weekends and during lunch on Wednesday and Friday. SkateQuest also has various types of skating classes and pick-up hockey games Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.
- Fairfax Ice Arena (3779 Pickett Road) — An 8 mile/15 minute drive south of Tysons.
- MedStar Capitals Iceplex (627 N Glebe Rd) — An 8 mile/15 minute drive to Arlington’s Ballston neighborhood, though that time estimate could vary considerably with traffic on I-66. Like SkateQuest, the rink offers public skating on weekends as well as pick-up hockey games.
- Reston Town Center Ice Skating Pavilion (1818 Discovery St) — A 10 mile/13 minute drive from Tysons to Reston Town Center, if you’re willing to take the Dulles Toll Road. This is the closest choice for those looking for the outdoor plaza skating experience.
- Pentagon Row Outdoor Ice Skating (1201 S Joyce St) — A 13 mile/20 minute drive from Tysons, this Arlington ice skating rink bills itself as the largest outdoor rink in Northern Virginia and the second largest rink in the state.
Photo via Facebook