Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or [email protected].
Welcome to strawberry-picking season! It’s actually berry season — period — but I know strawberry picking is fun for everyone, especially when we’re all looking for ways to enjoy the changing weather. With a few asynchronous days left, plus weekends, here’s a list of some of the best places to go strawberry picking!
And remember: A lot of these will shut down if they’re over picked, so call ahead or check their social media pages for announcements. I’m also going to mention a few places that aren’t open yet but will be by the end of the month so you can explore options, especially if you’re trying to coordinate a group outing.
- Messick’s Farm in Bealton, Virginia: Check their Facebook page for updates on the availability of U-pick. There are so many rows of strawberries, we were far away from other people. While Messick’s has their own custard and availability of treats, we drove about three miles down the road to the famous Moo Thru — an ice cream drive-thru, which was so good. (Coffee ice cream was delicious!)
- Wegmeyer Farms in three locations in Hamilton, Aldie and Leesburg, Virginia: They have strawberry picking by appointment, which opens up the night before and fills up fast. Make sure you follow them on Facebook for the most up-to-date information. Don’t miss their donuts!
- Hidden Gems Farms in Centreville, Virginia: This farm has summer blueberry picking this year. They also have other activities like playing with goats, plus food like donuts, bread and cheese.
- Hollin Farms in Delaplane, Virginia: Hollin Farms will open in late May for strawberries and spring vegetables. They have a lot of other fruit throughout the year as well.
- Butler’s Orchard in Germantown, Maryland: Reserve strawberry picking by appointment later this month. Reservations go live on Sundays and Thursdays at 5 p.m., so keep an eye out on their website! Walk-ins are welcome if there’s availability. Be sure to check their website for more details.
- Shlagel Farms in Waldorf, Maryland: Shlagel Farms is open now for strawberry picking! They update availability on their Facebook page.
- Swann Farms in Owings, Maryland: This farm is open for berry picking now! Check their website for updates.
If you find other places that are fun to go pick, please share in the comments below!
Photo via Oliver Hale/Unsplash