The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean, and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Tuesday (May 11)
- Hand Lettering Workshop (Online) — 6 p.m. — CraftJam will be teaching the basics of hand-lettering, including how to add style, details, and decoration to your lettering. The event is free, but registration is required.
- Fit4Mom Stroller Strides — 9:30-10:30 a.m. at the Mosaic District (2910 District Ave) — Fit4Mom Stroller Strides is a total-body workout for moms with their kids in tow. The 60-minute workout includes strength training, cardio, and core restoration, along with entertainment for the little ones in your stroller. The class will meet in Strawberry Park in front of Mom & Pop. Register online. Your first session is free. There will be a second class held this week on Thursday (May 13) at the same time.
Wednesday (May 12)
- (the) Unruly Theatre Project’s Virtual Improv Show (Online) — 7 p.m. — The McLean Community Center’s teen improv group is putting on its latest virtual performance. Registration is open up to two hours before the show. The Zoom link and password will be emailed to those who register. For more information, contact [email protected].
Thursday (May 13)
- Trivia Night at Solace Outpost — 7 p.m. at Solace Outpost (444 West Broad Street) — It’s trivia night at Solace Outpost, and everyone is invited. Teams of up to seven people can compete in the free game to win the first-place prize of a $30 gift card or a $20 gift card for second place.
Friday (May 14)
- The Fast and the Furious Movie Series at The Boro (1667 Silver Hill Drive) — 7:15 p.m. — ShowPlace ICON Theatre and The Boro are hosting free The Fast and the Furious movie showings for Extra Members every Friday for the next few weeks. Signing up to be an Extras Member is free and can be done at iconmember.com. This week’s movie is The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift. More information and other movie showings can be found on the ShowPlace Icon website.
Saturday (May 15)
- Tour de Hunter Mill — 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. starting at Reston Community Center (2310 Colts Neck Rd.) — The inaugural Tour de Hunter Mill is a community bicycle ride that will take cyclists on a tour through Reston, Vienna, and Tysons. Tickets are still available at $25 per rider, and people can pick between a family route or one of two long routes depending on their ability and interest.
- McLean Day 2021 — 11 a.m.-5 p.m. at McLean Community Center (1234 Ingleside Ave) — McLean’s annual hometown celebration looks a little different this year. Drive-thru entertainment, such as jugglers, magicians, animals and more, will perform, and because there won’t be the typical vendor slots, virtual exhibition slots will be available via the Mission McLean app. The event is free. Longer lines are expected towards the start of the event, so plan your visit accordingly.
- 1st Stage Masters’ Class: Acting a Song (Online) — 2-4 p.m. — Voice coach Jane Margulies Kalbfeld is hosting an in-depth discovery of lyrical interpretation. The class will “explore and personalize the lyrics of a song with a powerful, step-by-step technique that can also be utilized in dramatic and comedic acting,” according to the 1st Stage website. Registration is required, and the cost is $35 per person.
- Spring 2021 Habitat Restoration Event — 10 a.m.-12 p.m. at Cherry Hill Park (312 Park Ave.) — Join the City of Falls Church Habitat Restoration Team in restoring the ecosystems of the local city parks. Volunteers will clean out invasive plants and plant native ones that benefit local wildlife. Registration is required to help maintain COVID-19 safety guidelines. For questions and more information, email Jeremy Edwards at [email protected].