Updated on 2/4/2021 — Bards Alley in Vienna has canceled today’s Teacher Tuesday browsing hours due to continued snow, but the event is still scheduled to be held on other Tuesdays this month.
The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean, and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Tuesday (Feb. 2)
- Online Preschool Story Time (Online) — 10:30-11 a.m. — The Mary Riley Styles Public Library hosts a story time with stories, songs, and rhymes aimed at kids 5 and under. The event will stream live on the library’s Facebook page.
Teacher Tuesdays — 6-8 p.m. at Bards Alley (110 Church St.) — Throughout February, Bards Alley Bookshop in Vienna is reserving browsing hours exclusively for educators, who can use the time to spend holiday gift cards and stock up their classroom libraries “in anticipation of the (theoretical?) return of in-person teaching.”
Wednesday (Feb. 3)
- Space Innovation (Online) — 9-10:35 a.m. — This is the second installment of a three-part series on air and space technology hosted by the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority. NASA Human Explorations and Operations Mission Directorate Associate Administrator Kathryn Lueders will deliver the keynote speech after a panel discussion on new technology with space applications. Registration is required to get a link to the event, but it is free.
Thursday (Feb. 4)
- A Night of Mentalism (Online) — 8 p.m. — Members of The Tower Club Tysons Corner can watch mentalist Michael Gutenplan perform a variety of magic tricks in this family-friendly show. Register in advance for the Zoom event.
Friday (Feb. 5)
- Meet the Mayor — 9:30-10:30 a.m. at Simply Social Coffee (260 Cedar Lane) — Vienna Mayor Linda Colbert will hold her monthly “office hours” for residents to chat or share their questions and concerns at Simply Social Coffee in the newly renovated Cedar Park Shopping Center.
- Front Row: Gloria Chien (Online) — 7:30 p.m. — The Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts presents a virtual performance at The Barns by pianist Gloria Chien as part of the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center’s “Front Row” streaming concert series. The program features pieces by John Field, Franz Liszt, and Felix Mendelssohn and will be followed by a Q&A. A link to stream the concert will be available until midnight on Feb. 12.
- Moose Jaw — 7:30 at Jammin Java (227 Maple Ave. E) — The outlaw country/bluesgrass band Moose Jaw performs an indoor but socially distanced concert at Jammin Java in Vienna. Tickets are free, but donations are encouraged, and tables have a two-item minimum purchase.
Saturday (Feb. 6)
- The University of Wonder and Imagination (Online) — 11 a.m.-5 p.m. — The McLean Community Center is offering live-broadcast, interactive magic shows by the children’s theater company Cahoots NI. A limited number of tickets are available to each of the performances, which start every half hour and are 60 minutes in length. There will also be shows on Feb. 8. Purchase tickets at least two hours in advance through The Alden.
Sunday (Feb. 7)
- McLean Uncorked: Part 3 (Online) — 5-6 p.m. — Get a head start on Valentine’s Day with this virtual wine tasting and food pairing event from the McLean Community Center. The wines selections are currently available from Balducci’s (6655 Old Dominion Dr), and prepared cheeseboards can be preordered for pick-up starting on Feb. 4. Register in advance through MCC to get a discounted $55 price on the wines. Questions and preorders can be sent to John Coleman at [email protected]
Photo via NASA on Unsplash
A proposed multi-family residential building in the West Falls Church Metro station redevelopment (via Fairfax County) The redevelopment of the West Falls Church Metro station secured the Fairfax County Planning…
Outside 1st Stage in Tysons (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors got a first look last week at a new plan that it hopes can…
Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or [email protected]. Thursday,…
(Updated at 11:55 a.m.) A group of McLean residents opposed to the extension of the I-495 toll lanes past their neighborhoods have turned to the courts in a bid to…