A lightning strike sparked the fire yesterday morning that caused roughly $55,000 worth of damage to the roof of a Vienna church, firefighters say.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue shared today that the lightning strike hit a metal part of the church’s skylight.
A person near the building called 9-1-1 after smelling smoke and hearing the fire alarm, the fire department said.
Firefighters from Fairfax and Arlington counties responded to the fire in the 1000 block of Country Club Drive shortly after 6 a.m. and quickly extinguished the fire, which was contained to the attic.
No injuries were reported and no one was in the building at the time of the fire, according to the fire department.
Photos via Fairfax County Fire and Rescue