The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve scoured the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Tysons Reporter also complied a list of the upcoming New Year’s events, for those seeking festivities.
Monday (Dec. 30)
- Trails and Ales — 6:30 to 9 p.m. at Caboose Tavern (520 Mill Street NE) — This event brings together people for a group run or walk on the W&OD Trail. People are encouraged to bring headlamps and reflective gear. All ages are welcome but they must be 21+ to enjoy brews afterward.
- Korean Bell Ringing — 2-2:30 p.m. at Meadowlark Botanical Gardens (9750 Meadowlark Gardens Court) — This celebration displays bells given to Virginians by the Korean-American Cultural Committee. Attendees can drink free hot cocoa and listen to musical sounds. This event is free and all ages are welcome.
- New Year’s Day Brunch — 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Caboose Commons (520 Mill Street NE) — Community members can gather with friends and family to enjoy their first brunch of the New Year. There will be a variety of dining options available.
Friday (Jan. 3)
- Minecraft Day Camp — 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Code Ninjas (510 S. Washington Street) — Kids of all ages can come and learn how to model 3D objects and create various models. A half-day camp option is available for $45 as well as a full-day option for $80. Registration can be found online.
Saturday (Jan. 4)
- Intro Into Cyber Workshop — 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Cover 6 Solutions (1964 Gallows Road) — This workshop teaches people the basics of cybersecurity and people will walk away being able to integrate skills into their schooling and careers. Tickets are $199 and a spot can be reserved online. Once complete, people will receive a certificate of training.
- The Beat Open Mic — 6:45 to 9:45 p.m. at Caffe Amouri (107 Church Street NE) — People of all ages are welcome to gather and enjoy music from the community or perform themselves. This event is free and open to the public. Registration is not required beforehand.
Sunday (Jan. 5)
- Falls Church Distillers Tour and Tasting — 4 until 5 p.m. at Falls Church Distillers (442 S. Washington Street) — This event invites people to come and tour where the company makes its liquor and learn how the process works. Tickets are $25, which includes a tasting of seasonal whiskeys.
Photo via Caffe Amouri/Facebook
Meet Charlie, a brown German short-haired pointer whose manners will never prompt his owners to cry “good grief!” Though his past is unclear, his friends at Alexandria’s Mid-Atlantic GSP Rescue…
(Updated at 11:40 a.m.) Police say they’re looking for help after a shooter tried to rob and then attacked a man this morning in West Falls Church. The 73-year-old man…
Fairfax County’s logo on the government center (via Machvee/Flickr) For the first time in decades, Fairfax County workers have collective bargaining powers. The county Board of Supervisors passed an ordinance…
Fairfax Connector Offers Metro Alternatives — With Metrorail service limited throughout the rest of the week, Fairfax Connector is reminding commuters that it offers express service to the Pentagon or…