Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in McLean. Reach the office at 703-790-9090.
Working parents, parents with daytime commitments, or just parents who have stuff to DO!
There’s nothing worse than a sick kid and having to negotiate who has a busier day and the stress it can take on people trying to figure out a plan. My husband and I have even traded half days to make things work… but there’s no backup option for a sick kid. However, since we’re headed into winter in Fairfax County it inevitably means snow days, delays and more stress of navigating child care on a whim, I thought it might be useful to have a list of backup child care options on snow days.
Luckily for those of you who need to get the kids into somewhere safe that’ll also keep them happy, there are backup childcare options on the days where schools are closed. When schools are closed, so is SACC (unlike teacher work days where they stay open all day). If you’re looking for a daytime, drop in option for snow day care, consider one of the following options.
Remember you may need to call and/or email for information as this isn’t always listed on their websites.
- STEM Tree Vienna — Science, technology and engineering program
- Lifetime Fitness (Fairfax or Reston) — Call each location for availability
- Fairfax County Snow Day Camp (Oak Marr or Spring Hill) — Only begins on the 2nd day of 2 snow days in a row
- Tiger Den (Vienna or McLean) — Fencing and other activities
- Enshin Karate (Vienna) — More than just Karate, they have laser tag, field trips, games and activities and are open on most snow days
- Mt Kim Martial Arts (McLean and Vienna) — Call for availability
- Bright Horizons Back Up Care at Tysons Corner
- Hunter Mill Country Day School (Oakton) — Also offers space on teacher work days
- One time nanny options — Nanny Poppinz, White House Nannies
I’ve reached out to a few other locations to confirm if they provide options but haven’t heard back in time to add them to this publication. If you run a snow day program, please email me or leave a comment below!
New Early Voting Sites Open Today — “Fairfax County will open an additional 13 early voting sites starting Thursday, Oct. 21. In total, there will be 16 voting locations available…
Fairfax County Public Schools School-based COVID-19 vaccination clinics for elementary school-aged children could be set up as soon as mid-November, Fairfax County Public Schools officials say. As reported to the…
A local chiropractic doctor recently surrendered his license after allegedly engaging in sexual misconduct with six patients. The move came just under a year after the Virginia Board of Medicine…
Meet Charlie, a brown German short-haired pointer whose manners will never prompt his owners to cry “good grief!” Though his past is unclear, his friends at Alexandria’s Mid-Atlantic GSP Rescue…