Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in McLean. Reach the office at 703-790-9090.
Working parents, parents with daytime commitments, or just parents who have stuff to DO!
There’s nothing worse than a sick kid and having to negotiate who has a busier day and the stress it can take on people trying to figure out a plan. My husband and I have even traded half days to make things work… but there’s no backup option for a sick kid. However, since we’re headed into winter in Fairfax County it inevitably means snow days, delays and more stress of navigating child care on a whim, I thought it might be useful to have a list of backup child care options on snow days.
Luckily for those of you who need to get the kids into somewhere safe that’ll also keep them happy, there are backup childcare options on the days where schools are closed. When schools are closed, so is SACC (unlike teacher work days where they stay open all day). If you’re looking for a daytime, drop in option for snow day care, consider one of the following options.
Remember you may need to call and/or email for information as this isn’t always listed on their websites.
- STEM Tree Vienna — Science, technology and engineering program
- Lifetime Fitness (Fairfax or Reston) — Call each location for availability
- Fairfax County Snow Day Camp (Oak Marr or Spring Hill) — Only begins on the 2nd day of 2 snow days in a row
- Tiger Den (Vienna or McLean) — Fencing and other activities
- Enshin Karate (Vienna) — More than just Karate, they have laser tag, field trips, games and activities and are open on most snow days
- Mt Kim Martial Arts (McLean and Vienna) — Call for availability
- Bright Horizons Back Up Care at Tysons Corner
- Hunter Mill Country Day School (Oakton) — Also offers space on teacher work days
- One time nanny options — Nanny Poppinz, White House Nannies
I’ve reached out to a few other locations to confirm if they provide options but haven’t heard back in time to add them to this publication. If you run a snow day program, please email me or leave a comment below!
Students walking to Van Metre Hall It’s not too late to enroll for the fall semester! The Arlington-based Schar School of Policy and Government at George Mason University has extended…
Memorial Day weekend is almost here. Before you start planning how to spend the holiday or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news in…
With summer on the horizon, visitors are expected to flock to Scott’s Run Nature Preserve in McLean, but the Fairfax County Park Authority is warning now: leave the coolers, alcohol,…
Tysons Corner Center’s Summerfest is back. The annual line-up of free events at the mall’s Plaza ushers in Memorial Day weekend tomorrow (Friday) with a 7 p.m. screening of the…