(Updated at 2:45 p.m.) Rising waters due to heavy rain have prompted a road closure west of Tysons.
Fairfax County Police closed Old Courthouse Road at Besley Road after floodwaters from nearby Wolftrap Creek inundated the roadway. There’s no word on how long the closure will remain in place.
It was the only reported closure in the McLean police district as of 1 p.m., though others had been reported around Fairfax County, including:
- Fairfax Station Road at Innisvale Drive due to water in the roadway
- Woodburn Road at Spicewood Road due to water in the roadway
- Burke Lake Road at Kilkenny Lane due to water in the roadway
- Burke Road at Heritage Square Drive due to water in the roadway
- Fox Mill Road at Folkstone Drive due to water in the roadway
- Lawyers Road between Galloping Way and Whipporwill Road due to water in the roadway
There were also scattered reports of standing water on local roads that wasn’t high enough to prompt closures but did create a driving hazard.
Parts of Fairfax County, meanwhile, are under a Flood Warning Thursday evening.
Flood warnings have been posted for areas in green until 8/8:30 this evening. Never drive through a flooded road. The rain is over now and we are looking dry through the weekend. pic.twitter.com/AUnGoU7UBm
— Amelia Draper (@amelia_draper) January 24, 2019
Fairfax County is again reminding drivers to “turn around, don’t drown” when encountering flooded streets. The fire department posted the following VDOT safety video earlier today.
Map via Google Maps