Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA and D.C. with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or [email protected].
I’m not sure how many people research the history of where they live. I know I didn’t. So one day, I decided to search Vienna’s history to see what interesting things I could find about the town.
Here are my most interesting facts, in no particular order:
- Founded in 1903, The Vienna Volunteer Fire Department is the oldest in Fairfax County.
- In 1881, Howard Money founded a funeral home. Today, Money and King Funeral Home remains Vienna’s oldest continuous business.
- In 1890, the 300 person Village became an incorporated Town, which we now refer to as the Town of Vienna. The Town of Vienna’s current population is almost 17,000 people.
- Robert Hanssen, a Vienna resident and FBI spy, used Vienna as “dead drop” sites to provide intel to his Russian Handlers. He was arrested in 2001 at Foxstone Park.
- Vienna is also home to more positive famous people including New York Times best selling author David Baldacci. Vienna is also the former home of ESPN sportscenter anchor Randy Scott, who loves to give shoutouts to the Vienna Inn.
And a recent, bonus fun fact:
- The Vienna Inn was featured on a hat worn in Equalizer 3 thanks to former CIA operative and Vienna resident Marc Polymeropoulus who was a technical advisor on the film.
If you have more fun historical facts to share, please drop them in the comments!
The preceding sponsored post was also published on FFXnow.com
Fairfax County Public Schools bus on the road (file photo) The Fairfax County School Board is moving ahead with its plan to change middle school start times. According to Fairfax…
Casino chips (photo via Chris Liverani on Unsplash) A McLean resident has pleaded guilty to spending federal COVID-19 relief funds intended for his home business on personal expenses, including gambling…
The Indian restaurant Dhoom has opened in Tysons Corner Center (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) A local family with decades of culinary experience unveiled a new restaurant last week that…
The Fairfax County Park Authority wants to know how community members are using its park facilities. The park authority has launched an equity survey, open through Monday, April 1, as…