Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or [email protected].
Next weekend we get to celebrate Presidents’ Day with a long weekend that promises to hit 50 degrees!
With the weather getting better, I know I’m craving a change of scenery for a while. If you’re looking to plan a quick getaway, try one of these ideas (or save the outdoor ones involving water for warmer days!)
- Colonial Beach, Virginia: Colonial Beach is about 90 minutes away from Tysons. It has easy parking, is on the Potomac River (so very few waves), has shallow water and there’s a fishing pier. You’ll find a cute snow cone and ice cream spot, too. (Try the chocolate éclair ice cream!)
- Aquia Landing Park in Stafford, Virginia: About an hour from Tysons, this is a popular fishing spot and beach for swimming. Note there’s a fee for parking.
- Sandy Point State Park in Annapolis, Maryland: An hour from Tysons, Sandy Point is a popular beach before the Chesapeake Bay Bridge with lots of space for distancing. This is a great spot if you just want to escape for a day.
- Mason Neck State Park in Lorton, Virginia: This small hidden gem is located under an hour from Tysons and offers fishing plus canoe and kayak rentals. Be sure to call ahead for a reservation. You’ll also find spots for swimming and walking trails.
- Lake Anna State Park in Spotsylvania, Virginia: About two hours away, you’ll find lots of sand and water for swimming and playing, camping grounds for overnight stays, and walking trails. Tents are not allowed on the beach.
- Calvert Cliffs State Park in Lusby, Maryland: Located about 90 minutes from Tysons, Calvert Cliffs is a Maryland state park featuring fishing, swimming and walking trails. It’s $7 per car for day use if you’ve got Virginia state plates.
- Salamander Resort & Spa in Middleburg, Virginia: Here you’ll find a spa, restaurants, wineries, an infinity pool, hiking trails, zip lining and, for golf fans, access to the club at Creighton Farms.
- The Inn at Little Washington, Washington, Virginia: Find a top-rated restaurant at The Inn, and the quaint town of Washington is perfect for exploring.
- Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michaels, Maryland: On the beautiful Chesapeake, Inn at Perry Cabin has a spa, restaurants, pool, fitness center, golf and tennis.
- The Inn at Vaucluse Spring in Stephens City, Virginia: This is a romantic bed and breakfast perched along the Shenandoah Valley.
- Nemacolin Resort in Farmington, Pennsylvania: Nemacolin has many types of lodging, a spa, golf, ax throwing, zip lining and tons of restaurant choices.
- The Omni Homestead in Hot Springs, Virginia: Filled with historic charm, this huge spa features hot springs, a water park, golf and lots of other family-friendly activities.
- The Tides Inn in Irvington, Virginia: Find a spa, wine trail, sailing school, golf and newly redesigned rooms that open today!
- The Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia: This resort contains a spa, a casino, pool, arcade, bowling and so many other activities to keep you busy!
- Lansdowne Resort in Leesburg, Virginia: Located in historic Leesburg, Lansdowne Resort has a spa, golf course and more.
- Tidewater Inn in Easton, Maryland: Explore the spa, luxury accommodations, historic Easton and Hunters’ Tavern.
- Great Wolf Lodge in Williamsburg, Virginia: Huge indoor waterpark with bowling, an arcade, build-a-bear, laser tag and other entertainment for kids.
Do you have another place to add? Please feel free to comment below or email me and I’ll add it!
The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch in Fairfax County. The watch went into effect at 3:07 p.m. and is expected to last until 7 p.m. this…
Independence Day weekend is almost here. Before you prepare for the oncoming barrage of fireworks or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit the past week of news…
While it won’t be quiet around Fairfax County on Monday with Fourth of July celebrations, many government offices and facilities will be closed. Government offices, and some businesses, are closed…
Two D.C. residents have been arrested and charged with armed robbery after allegedly driving a man around and robbing him at gunpoint on April 9, the Town of Vienna Police…