The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean, and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Tuesday (Aug 10)
- Kids on the Green: Mr. Jon — 10 a.m.-12 p.m. on the Vienna Town Green (144 Maple Ave. E) — Vienna’s annual kids’ summer program presents Mr. Jon, a musician who plays music and tells stories for children. Bring a blanket or lawn chair to sit on for the show. The performance will last 30-45 minutes, weather permitting.
- Pierce Freelon at Wolf Trap — 10:30 a.m. at Theatre-in-the-Woods at Wolf Trap (1551 Trap Road) — Pierce Freelon and his hip-hop, electronic, jazz, and soulful beats are coming to Wolf Trap to share his journey as a millennial father with kids and adults. Local COVID-19 guidelines will be followed.
Wednesday (Aug 11)
- FLY Dance Company: The Gentlemen of Hip Hop at Wolf Trap — 10:30 a.m. at Theatre-in-the-Woods at Wolf Trap (1551 Trap Road) — The FLY dance company is performing a fast-action and educational show for ages four and up. The show combines classical music and street dance to deliver an important social message.
- Pink Martini feat. China Forbes at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — The self-described “little orchestra,” Pink Martini will be performing a worldwide music selection at Wolf Trap. Gates will open at 6:30 p.m.
Thursday (Aug 12)
- Summer Live Music Series: Moose Jaw Bluegrass — 5:30-8 p.m. on the Upper Promenade near Boro Park (8350 Broad St.) — This week’s live music performance at The Boro features the band Moose Jaw Bluegrass. RSVP for more information.
- Films in the Park: Pitch Perfect— 7:30-9:30 p.m. at Strawberry Park (2910 District Ave.) — The Mosaic District’s movie series continues with “Pitch Perfect.” The film is rated PG-13 and will run for one hour and 52 minutes. Grab your picnic blanket and join your neighbors at Strawberry Park for a movie night!
- Big Screen on the Green: Onward — 8-10 p.m. at Vienna Town Green (144 Maple Ave. E) — The Town of Vienna is hosting a movie night on the Town Green. This week’s movie is “Onward.” The film is a Disney movie, rated PG, and will run for one hour and 42 minutes.
- Joan Jett and the Blackhearts at Wolf Trap — 7:30 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Joan Jett and the Blackhearts make their Wolf Trap debut with pure rock jams, including “I Love Rock ‘N Roll,” “I Hate Myself for Loving You,” and “Bad Reputation.”
Friday (Aug 13)
- Summer on the Green: US Navy Band Commodores — 6:30-8 p.m. at Vienna Town Green (144 Maple Ave. E) — The Town of Vienna’s free Summer on the Green concert will conclude this week with a performance from the US Navy Band Commodores. The concert will last roughly one and a half hours.
Saturday (Aug 14)
- Sonia De Los Santos and The Okee Dokee Brothers at Wolf Trap — 10:30 a.m. at Theatre-in-the-Woods at Wolf Trap (1551 Trap Road) — Mexican songstress Sonia De Los Santos and American folk duo The Okee Dokee Brothers team up for this bilingual performance. Playing songs from across North America, this performance captures the importance of learning and understanding one another. Music fans of all ages are welcome.
- Lorenzo the Great Magic Show (Online) — 11-11:30 a.m. — The Mary Riley Styles Public Library presents a virtual magic show from local favorite magician Lorenzo the Great. Recommended for kids ages 3 and up, the show will stream on the library’s Facebook page, where the video will remain available through Aug. 21.
- Raheem DeVaughn and Friends at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Marvin Gaye’s album “What’s Going On,” D.C. legend Raheem DeVaughn and a collection of other musicians will pay tribute to Gaye and his music. See the Wolf Trap event listing for the full lineup of musicians.
Sunday (Aug 15)
- ABBA The Concert at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — After their sold-out Wolf Trap performance in 2019, Sweden’s ABBA The Concert return as the top ABBA tribute group in the world. Join other fans of the Swedish pop group in hearing their iconic hits at the Filene Center.
Photo via The Visitor/Facebook
People walk by Caffi Field, a football field in Vienna (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Driver in Fatal Franconia Crash Charged With Manslaughter — Sara Flores, 20, of Lorton was…
With the D.C. area’s summer heat in full swing, local organizers worry that there are too few options for unhoused residents in the county to cool down. Last month, the…
For those who find the prospect of being 14 stories in the air exciting instead of terrifying, the Hyatt Regency at Tysons Corner Center has some available views without the…
Arts agencies from Fairfax County, Arlington and Alexandria are forming a supergroup. Unveiled Monday (Aug. 8), the newly created Northern Virginia Local Arts Agencies (NVLAA) consists of ArtsFairfax, the Alexandria…