The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean, and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Monday (July 19)
- Town of Vienna Offices Closed — The Town of Vienna government offices are closed today, but regular waste pick-up will take place as scheduled.
Tuesday (July 20)
- Inez Barlatier at Wolf Trap— 11 a.m. at the Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Inez Barlatier will perform “Ayiti: Stories and Songs from Haiti,” a show geared towards children. The show will tell the stories and folktales of Haitian culture. Tickets will be sold in socially distanced pods for two to eight people with no single tickets available. Questions can be directed to Wolf Trap’s patron services at 703-255-1868 or [email protected].
- Horse Show at Frying Pan Farm Park — 4 p.m. at Frying Pan Farm Park (2739 West Ox Road) — Come participate in a horse show! There are fees to participate, which differ if you are riding in dressage or hunter horse shows. Check out the registration form for more details!
Wednesday (July 21)
- Oran Etkin: Timbalooloo at Wolf Trap — 11 a.m. at the Filene Center — Award-winning clarinetist Oran Etkin travels the globe to make new instrument friends and share a message of friendship and understanding. This event is suggested for ages 2 to 10.
- Amos Lee at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at the Filene Center — Join singer-songwriter Amos Lee for a special solo evening that “knows no musical limits.” This event will take place on Wednesday and Thursday.
Thursday (July 22)
- Summer Live Music Series: Elizabeth & Phil of The Breakaways — 5:30-8 p.m. on the Upper Promenade near Boro Park (8350 Broad St.) — This week’s live music performance at The Boro features acoustic duo, Elizabeth & Phil of The Breakaways. RSVP for more information.
- Films in the Park: Moana — 7:30-9:30 p.m. at Strawberry Park (2910 District Ave.) — The Mosaic District’s Films in the Park series continues with “Moana.” The Disney film is rated PG and will run for one hour and 47 minutes. Grab your picnic blanket and join your neighbors at Strawberry Park for a movie night!
- Concerts in the Park: Lil’ Maceo — 7-9 p.m. at Cherry Hill Park (312 Park Ave.) — This week, Falls Church’s Concert in the Park features Lil’ Maceo, who is set to bring a funky beat with his saxophone. Email [email protected] with questions or concerns.
Friday (July 23)
- STARias at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at the Filene Center — Celebrating 50 years of Opera at Wolf Trap, some of Wolf Trap’s Opera artists and alumni will perform with the National Symphony Orchestra.
Saturday (July 24)
- Dan + Claudia Zanes with Friends at Wolf Trap — 11 a.m. at the Filene Center — Grammy award-winning artist Dan Zanes and jazz vocalist and music therapist Claudia Zanes will perform a mix of songs including some of Dan’s new songs. This is an interactive show and the audience is invited to dance and sing along.
- Chris Thile at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center — Grammy Award-winning mandolinist and singer-songwriter Chris Thile will dazzle the Wolf Trap audience with his distinct American sound for two nights, Saturday and Sunday.
Sunday (July 25)
- Summer Sunday Concert — 5 p.m. at McLean Central Park gazebo (1468 Dolley Madison Blvd.) — Next up in McLean’s Summer Concert Series is Nashville Girls Night Out. Dynamic vocalist Jenny Leigh Miller will perform some county hits!
Photo via Wolf Trap/Facebook
The D.C. area’s first-ever Winter Lantern Festival is coming to Lerner Town Square at Tysons II (courtesy Kaleido Arts & Entertainment Group) Thousands of lanterns will take over Lerner Town…
Fairfax County Public Schools Fairfax County Public Schools could require parental notifications for class materials deemed sexually explicit, but in a deviation from the state, the proposed policy directly addresses…
The Koons Chevy auto dealership at 2000 Chain Bridge Road (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) The developer behind Reston Station and Herndon’s stalled downtown redevelopment has turned its sights to…
A man walks by trash bins next to the curb (via Trinity Nguyen on Unsplash) (Updated at 1:25 p.m.) The service and staffing challenges plaguing trash collectors throughout Fairfax County…
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.
The Rhea Baker State Farm Agency is proud to support Shelter House in providing safe places to be during quarantine. Shelter House’s mission is to prevent and end homelessness and domestic violence. Right now they are providing over 200 hotel rooms to those in need in our community. In the past year, across all programs, Shelter House served nearly 500 households comprised of over 1,500 individuals, 60% of which were children.
Of the households that exited shelter, over 70% moved to permanent housing. The Baker Agency has served Vienna and Tysons residents and business owners since 2007 and proudly offers insurance solutions for you home, condo, auto insurance, life insurance and more. We offer complimentary reviews and coach teen drivers to safer, better drivers, and to help keep your auto insurance rates down! We are always happy to talk or text at 703-847-6880.