Smoking in Bed Caused Vienna House Fire, Officials Say

A house fire in Vienna that killed a woman and two cats was caused by smoking in bed, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported this afternoon.

The county’s medical examiner identified the victim as 80-year-old Mae Woods and determined that the fire was accidental in nature.

The fire occurred early in the morning of Jan. 12, drawing first responders from Fairfax County and police officers with the Town of Vienna to the 900 block of Lauren Lane SE.

The fire caused $374,075 in damages, according to the FCFRD.

Photo via Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department/Twitter

Recent Stories

Two Fairfax County organizations have been awarded grants from a national nonprofit aimed at increasing access for food service programs for children and their families. The Falls Church-McLean Children’s Center…

Fairfax County has reached “substantial” community transmission of COVID-19, and as a result, health officials are now recommending that everyone wear a face masks in public indoor settings, regardless of…

Morning Notes

Fairfax County Flies Flags at Half Mast for Pentagon Officer — Fairfax County flags will fly at half-mast today (Wednesday) after a Pentagon police officer was killed in a shooting…

Construction is starting today (Tuesday) on Pupatella’s upcoming location in the Mosaic District, a spokesperson for the local pizza chain told Tysons Reporter. Signage indicating that Pupatella will be moving…

×

Subscribe to our mailing list