The ideas include:
- keeping Metrorail open until midnight Monday-Thursday and until 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays
- adding more weekend service on Metro bus routes
- increasing Metrorail fares during peak periods
increasing bus fares for people loading their SmarTrip card with cash
- creating a flat fare for Metrorail
- eliminating low-ridership bus routes
- eliminating transfer fares between Metro trains and buses
“Today, riders pay for Bus and Rail trips separately and get a $0.50 discount when transferring,” according to Metro. “Under this proposal, transfers between Metrorail and regular Metrobus services would be free.”
Before Metro’s budget year begins before July 1, people can submit comments via an online survey and provide feedback through March 2. Metro also plans to have open houses in Arlington, D.C. and New Carrollton.
What do you think of Metro’s ideas?