Columbus Day — also known as “Indigenous Peoples’ Day” in some areas — is coming up on Monday (Oct. 14).
For people staying in the Tysons area, some government facilities will be closed and public transit options will be operating on modified schedules.
Tysons Reporter has rounded up a list of public services that will be affected by the upcoming holiday on Monday.
- All county offices, schools and libraries will be closed.
- The Circuit and General District Courts will be closed.
- The Fairfax Connector will operate on a Holiday Weekday Service where certain routes will run every 12-15 minutes.
- United States Postal Service offices will be closed.
- The Vienna Community Center will have reduced hours from 10 a.m. until 10:30 p.m.
- The Town of Vienna’s government offices will be closed.
- The McLean Community Center will be closed.
- The Old Firehouse will be open.
- The City of Falls Church’s government offices and buildings will be closed.
- The Mary Riley Styles Public Library will be closed.
- Falls Church Community Center (223 Little Falls Street) will be open from 8:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
The City of Falls Church and the Town of Vienna recognize Oct. 14, 2019 as “Indigenous Peoples’ Day.”
“Celebrating the two holidays on the same day is a way to inform our understanding of each group’s contributions to our national fabric without demeaning the significance of either,” according to a Falls Church press release.
Speaking of closures, Tysons Reporter will be taking a break as well on Monday.
The anticipated cost of renovating Patrick Henry Library has escalated in recent years, leading Fairfax County to seek a bigger contribution from the Town of Vienna.
The Vienna Town Council agreed on Monday (Dec. 4) to raise the town’s cap on funding for the new library’s construction to approximately $4.7 million — a $590,000 increase from the previous maximum set in 2020.
New boundaries have been approved for McLean elementary schools to relieve crowding at Kent Gardens (via FCPS) Kent Gardens Elementary School should finally get some substantial capacity relief, starting next…
The Fairfax County School Board will vote next week on $847,000 in funding for security cameras at nine elementary schools. That project is among those that could be funded as…
The National Air and Space Museum’s Udvar Hazy Center in Chantilly at night (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Washington Post Workers Walk Out in Bid for Union Contract — “Unionized journalists…