Tysons Corner, VA

Updated at 8:45 a.m. on 6/12/19 — Fairfax County Fire and Rescue has determined the fire was accidentally started in the knee wall space of the second-floor master bedroom by electrical malfunction involving the wiring circuitry to the HVAC unit. 

From the fire department:

One worker was present inside the house, and several workers were outside, when the fire was discovered. The worker inside noticed electrical arcing from the main electrical panel. 9-1-1 was then called. Smoke alarms were present but did not alert due to the location of the fire… The house was vacant at the time of the fire. Red Cross assistance was not needed. Damages as a result of the fire were approximately $75,000.

Earlier: Firefighters have extinguished a fire that broke out in the attic of a Merrifield home.

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue tweeted at 11:52 a.m. today (June 4) that firefighters were on the scene of the fire in the 2900 block of Cedarest Road.

The fire department then tweeted at 12:22 p.m. that the attic fire is now out.

A spokesperson for the fire department told Tysons Reporter that everyone in the house is OK and that the fire likely started in the attic area and spread up through the roof.

“Crews are performing gross decontamination cleaning on personnel to wash contaminates/potential carcinogens off firefighters’ gear,” the fire department tweeted at 12:48 p.m.

Catherine Moran and Vernon Miles worked on this story.

Map via Google Maps

×

Subscribe to our mailing list