There are plenty of activities coming up at the McLean Community Center (1234 Ingleside Ave) throughout April, mostly involving day-trips to unique spots across the region.
The events are open to the public, though some age restrictions may apply, and McLean residents are eligible for discounts on any program involving tickets.
- April 5: Shazam Day — 8 a.m.-6 p.m. — Teens are invited to bounce at the Launch Indoor Trampoline Park before catching a screening of the new superhero film Shazam. Tickets are $55 or $45 for McLean residents.
- April 13: Spring Garage Sale and Kids’ Corner — 9 a.m.-1 p.m. — Locals are invited out to McLean’s largest spring garage sale to peruse a selection of household items, furniture, sporting goods and electronics. A special kids-themed garage sale will also be set up at the site.
- April 15: Maryland Zoo trip — 8 a.m.-6 p.m. — The Old Firehouse in McLean is hosting a trip up to the Maryland Zoo to feed giraffes, groom goats and see a variety of animals. Tickets are $55 or $45 for McLean residents.
- April 16: Hershey’s Chocolate World — 8 a.m.-7 p.m. — A trip is leaving from the MCC to Hershey’s Chocolate World, where participants will create their own Hershey Bars and explore the factory via trolley. Tickets are $65 or $55 for McLean residents.
- April 17: Dave & Buster’s — 8 a.m.-6 p.m. — The MCC is hosting a trip to Dave and Buster’s for a game day. A buffet lunch and a $25 game card with unlimited arcade play are included in the trip’s $70 fee, or $60 for McLean residents.
- April 18: Indoor go-carting — 8 a.m.-6 p.m. — Part of the Old Firehouse’s “spring break trip” will include a trip to an indoor go-carting arena. Tickets are $80 or $70 for McLean residents.
- April 19: Skyline Paintball and Laser Tag — 8 a.m.-6 p.m. — The last part of the Old Firehouse events is a trip to a paintball and laser tag facility. Tickets are $75 or $65 for McLean residents.
- April 20: Spring Fest — 10 a.m.-12 p.m. — A program aimed for children ages 3-8, participants will engage with self-guided arts and crafts and get a chance to take a photo with a bunny mascot.
- April 30: Lynchburg Garden Tour — The MCC is hosting a day-trip to Lynchburg, Virginia for view the gardens and historic homes around town.
Photo via Maryland Zoo/Facebook
With many restaurants struggling due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a group of McLean residents created a group called McLean Cares to try to help keep their local eateries afloat. Inspired…
(Updated at 2:30 p.m.) The Fairfax County Courthouse is renewing its mask policy once again even as the judicial system tries to inch back to normal amid a backlog of…
This week’s Pet of the Week is Tootsie, a sweet bunny who, though at times is shy, loves being hugged and exploring.
Two Fairfax County organizations have been awarded grants from a national nonprofit aimed at increasing access for food service programs for children and their families. The Falls Church-McLean Children’s Center…