Four McLean residents lost their home last week in a fire that investigators say was ignited by grease on an outdoor grill.
The fire started accidentally in the 6000 block of Chesterbrook Road on June 2 when grease that had accumulated on the back patio grill ignited, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department reported yesterday (Thursday).
FCFRD firefighters and units from the Arlington County Fire Department were dispatched to the single-family house at 6:24 p.m. after the residents evacuated and called 911.
“Units arrived on the scene to find a large volume of fire coming from the back of a two-story, single-family home and extending up to the attic,” the department said. “Crews quickly initiated firefighting operations to contain and extinguish the fire.”
No injuries were reported, but in addition to displacing all four residents, the fire resulted in an estimated $483,060 in property damages, according to the FCFRD.
“Smoke alarms were present, but it is unknown if they activated after the fire extended to the house,” the fire department said.
#FCFRD is on the scene of an house fire in the 6000 blk of Chesterbrook Rd in the McLean area. Units arrived w/ heavy fire showing from the back of home & extending to the attic. All occupants accounted for. No reported civilian or firefighter injuries. The fire is under control pic.twitter.com/VVJq0ryXGq
— Fairfax County Fire/Rescue (@ffxfirerescue) June 2, 2023
Photo via FCFRD
Northern Virginia Magazine has ranked TJ as the region’s top public high school (courtesy Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology) Six of the 10 best high schools in…
Planning officials in the Shenandoah Valley and central Virginia fear proposals to change Virginia’s transportation funding system could significantly reduce state funding for smaller transportation projects for cyclists and pedestrians….
This biweekly column is sponsored by The Mather in Tysons, Virginia, a forward-thinking Life Plan Community for those 62 and better. When The Mather, a Life Plan Community for those 62…
A pumpkin display from Tysons Corner Center’s 2022 Fall Festival (staff photo by Angela Woolsey) Tysons Corner Center is jumping into the abundant pile of local fall festivals. The mall…