Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479.
Spring is here and summer is coming soon so it’s time for some family fun!
If you’re looking for a quick and exciting day trip from Fairfax County, look no further! Pack up the car, grab the family, and get ready for some adventures.
- Shenandoah National Park — A little more than an hour’s drive from Fairfax County, Shenandoah National Park is a fantastic place to spend the day. Take a scenic drive along Skyline Drive and stop at one of the many overlooks for breathtaking views of the mountains. The park also offers hiking trails for all levels, picnicking areas, and ranger-led programs for kids.
- Harpers Ferry National Historical Park — Located about an hour and a half from Fairfax County, Harpers Ferry, West Virginia is a town with a rich history. It’s where John Brown led a raid on a federal armory in 1859, an event that is considered a spark for the Civil War. Visitors can take a guided tour of the town, hike the nearby trails, or go tubing or rafting on the Potomac and Shenandoah rivers.
- National Aquarium — For families who love marine life, the National Aquarium in Baltimore is a must-visit destination. It’s a two-hour drive from Fairfax County, but it’s worth the trip. The aquarium has over 20,000 animals representing more than 800 species. Highlights include a dolphin show, a rainforest exhibit, and a shark tank.
- Luray Caverns — Luray Caverns, located in the Shenandoah Valley, is a natural wonder that’s sure to impress the whole family. The caverns are more than 4,000 years old and are filled with stalactites, stalagmites, and other formations. Visitors can take a guided tour, go gem mining, or explore the maze and garden.
- Kings Dominion — Located in Doswell, this amusement park has something for everyone! From thrill rides to water attractions, this park is sure to be a hit with the whole family. Be sure to check out the family-friendly Planet Snoopy section for the little ones.
There you have it, friends, 5 Family-Friendly Day Trips that are sure to make your spring and summer memorable.
Explore Fairfax with Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney.
Sharmane Medaris | Live Fairfax | www.soldbysharmane.com | [email protected] | @soldbysharmane | 813-504-4479 | 374 Maple Avenue Suite 202, Vienna, VA 22180
The preceding sponsored post was also published on FFXnow.com
Writs of eviction issued in Fairfax County (courtesy Department of Housing and Community Development) After a recent study showed an uptick in homelessness, Fairfax County staff say that data connects…
The first annual Paws on the Plaza was held in 2022 (courtesy Tysons Corner Center) The dog days are coming early to Tysons this year. Canines will first be unleashed…
The Southern fast-casual chain Chicken Salad Chick has signed a deal to open locations in Fairfax County (courtesy Chicken Salad Chick) A fast-casual chicken salad company is planning a move…
The proposed route and stations for the Route 7 bus rapid transit system in Tysons (via FCDOT) Plans for a Route 7 bus rapid transit (BRT) system in Tysons are…