The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean, and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Tuesday (Aug. 24)
- Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue and Michael Franti & Spearhead at Wolf Trap — 7 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — A funky jazz vibe is coming to Wolf Trap with Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, while rapper/musician Michael Franti & Spearhead bring the high energy. Tickets start at $42, and the gates open at 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday (Aug. 25)
- Tysons Summer Soiree — 6-8:30 p.m. at Tysons Plaza (1420 Spring Hill Road) — The Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce invites both members and non-members to its annual summer soiree, which celebrates local businesses and nonprofits making a difference in the community. There will be food, drinks, entertainment, an auction, and an AirStream tasting bar from Lost Whiskey. Tickets cost $40 for chamber members and $55 for non-members.
Thursday (Aug. 26)
- The Princess Bride in Concert at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — The Academy Award-nominated movie “The Princess Bride” will screen at Wolf Trap with the National Symphony Orchestra playing the score. Wolf Trap says “missing this cinematic concert experience would be inconceivable!” Tickets start at $42, and gates will open at 6:30 p.m.
- Summer Live Music Series: Rock Creek Revival — 5:30-8 p.m. on the Upper Promenade near Boro Park (8350 Broad St.) — This week’s live music performance at The Boro features the band Rock Creek Revival. RSVP for more information.
- Films in the Park: Step Up — 7:30-9:30 p.m. at Strawberry Park (2910 District Ave.) — The Mosaic District’s movie series continues with “Step Up.” The film is rated PG-13 and will run for one hour and 44 minutes. Grab your picnic blanket and join your neighbors at Strawberry Park for a movie night!
- Crafty Happy Hour — 5 – 6 p.m. at The Plaza at Tysons Corner Center — AR Workshop Alexandria and Barrel & Bushel are teaming up to host a happy hour and craft activity. AR Workshop will be there showing guests how to paint eco-friendly reusable tote bags or coaster sets. The crafts are complimentary for the first 50 guests to register, so sign up early to get your free craft!
Friday (Aug 27)
- Star Wars: A New Hope in Concert at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Episode four of the Star Wars Series, A New Hope, is ready for the Wolf Trap audience with the National Symphony Orchestra playing the score to the movie. Tickets start at $40 and gates open at 6:30 p.m.
- Charmed Life — 8-9 p.m. at Boro Park (8350 Broad Street) — This autobiographical story written and performed by Lori Brown Mirabal is the next show in 1st Stage Theater’s Logan Festival of Solo Performance. It pays homage to famous opera singers, specifically Black women. Buy tickets online ahead of time to guarantee your seat.
Saturday (Aug 28)
- Brandi Carlile at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Six-time Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile comes to Wolf Trap. Carlile will perform with Amythyst Kiah, who fuses folk, blues and rock music in her latest album “Wary + Strange.” Tickets start at $47, and gates open at 6:30 p.m.
- Over the Edge — 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at The Hyatt Regency (7901 Tysons One Place) — The Hyatt Regency teams up with the company Over the Edge to host an urban rappelling fundraiser that will benefit Helping Haitian Angels, a nonprofit dedicated to supporting orphaned and abandoned children in Haiti. Nearly 50 participants have already signed up to rappel down 14 stories of the hotel. No prior experience is required to register.
- VietFest— 10 a.m.-10 p.m. in Bloomingdale’s Parking Lot (1961 Chain Bridge Road) — Enjoy Vietnamese culture, music, food, and activities at the annual VietFest. There is food, fun, and entertainment for all on Saturday and Sunday (11 a.m.-8 p.m.) Check the website for more details on the event.
Photo via Steve Klamkin/Facebook
Live Fairfax is a bi-weekly column exploring Fairfax County. This recurring column is sponsored and written by Sharmane Medaris of McEnearney Associates. Questions? Reach Sharmane at 813-504-4479. There are so many fun things…
Shipgarten’s Thanksgiving Barks & Brews Festival is coming this Saturday (via Shipgarten/Instagram) People will be talking about Bruno at Shipgarten in Tysons this Thanksgiving weekend. Characters from the Disney movie…
This biweekly column is sponsored by The Mather in Tysons, Virginia, a forward-thinking Life Plan Community for those 62 and better. November — a month containing both Veterans Day and Thanksgiving…
Curative will operate COVID-19 testing mobile labs at six sites in Fairfax County (courtesy Fairfax County Health Department) Curative is set to shut down all of its public COVID-19 testing…
Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.
He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.
The Rhea Baker State Farm Agency is proud to support Shelter House in providing safe places to be during quarantine. Shelter House’s mission is to prevent and end homelessness and domestic violence. Right now they are providing over 200 hotel rooms to those in need in our community. In the past year, across all programs, Shelter House served nearly 500 households comprised of over 1,500 individuals, 60% of which were children.
Of the households that exited shelter, over 70% moved to permanent housing. The Baker Agency has served Vienna and Tysons residents and business owners since 2007 and proudly offers insurance solutions for you home, condo, auto insurance, life insurance and more. We offer complimentary reviews and coach teen drivers to safer, better drivers, and to help keep your auto insurance rates down! We are always happy to talk or text at 703-847-6880.