The Weekly Planner is a roundup of interesting events coming up over the next week in the Tysons area.
We’ve searched the web for events of note in Tysons, Vienna, Merrifield, McLean, and Falls Church. Know of any we’ve missed? Tell us!
Tuesday (Aug. 24)
- Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue and Michael Franti & Spearhead at Wolf Trap — 7 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — A funky jazz vibe is coming to Wolf Trap with Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, while rapper/musician Michael Franti & Spearhead bring the high energy. Tickets start at $42, and the gates open at 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday (Aug. 25)
- Tysons Summer Soiree — 6-8:30 p.m. at Tysons Plaza (1420 Spring Hill Road) — The Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce invites both members and non-members to its annual summer soiree, which celebrates local businesses and nonprofits making a difference in the community. There will be food, drinks, entertainment, an auction, and an AirStream tasting bar from Lost Whiskey. Tickets cost $40 for chamber members and $55 for non-members.
Thursday (Aug. 26)
- The Princess Bride in Concert at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — The Academy Award-nominated movie “The Princess Bride” will screen at Wolf Trap with the National Symphony Orchestra playing the score. Wolf Trap says “missing this cinematic concert experience would be inconceivable!” Tickets start at $42, and gates will open at 6:30 p.m.
- Summer Live Music Series: Rock Creek Revival — 5:30-8 p.m. on the Upper Promenade near Boro Park (8350 Broad St.) — This week’s live music performance at The Boro features the band Rock Creek Revival. RSVP for more information.
- Films in the Park: Step Up — 7:30-9:30 p.m. at Strawberry Park (2910 District Ave.) — The Mosaic District’s movie series continues with “Step Up.” The film is rated PG-13 and will run for one hour and 44 minutes. Grab your picnic blanket and join your neighbors at Strawberry Park for a movie night!
- Crafty Happy Hour — 5 – 6 p.m. at The Plaza at Tysons Corner Center — AR Workshop Alexandria and Barrel & Bushel are teaming up to host a happy hour and craft activity. AR Workshop will be there showing guests how to paint eco-friendly reusable tote bags or coaster sets. The crafts are complimentary for the first 50 guests to register, so sign up early to get your free craft!
Friday (Aug 27)
- Star Wars: A New Hope in Concert at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Episode four of the Star Wars Series, A New Hope, is ready for the Wolf Trap audience with the National Symphony Orchestra playing the score to the movie. Tickets start at $40 and gates open at 6:30 p.m.
- Charmed Life — 8-9 p.m. at Boro Park (8350 Broad Street) — This autobiographical story written and performed by Lori Brown Mirabal is the next show in 1st Stage Theater’s Logan Festival of Solo Performance. It pays homage to famous opera singers, specifically Black women. Buy tickets online ahead of time to guarantee your seat.
Saturday (Aug 28)
- Brandi Carlile at Wolf Trap — 8 p.m. at Filene Center (1551 Trap Road) — Six-time Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Brandi Carlile comes to Wolf Trap. Carlile will perform with Amythyst Kiah, who fuses folk, blues and rock music in her latest album “Wary + Strange.” Tickets start at $47, and gates open at 6:30 p.m.
- Over the Edge — 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at The Hyatt Regency (7901 Tysons One Place) — The Hyatt Regency teams up with the company Over the Edge to host an urban rappelling fundraiser that will benefit Helping Haitian Angels, a nonprofit dedicated to supporting orphaned and abandoned children in Haiti. Nearly 50 participants have already signed up to rappel down 14 stories of the hotel. No prior experience is required to register.
- VietFest— 10 a.m.-10 p.m. in Bloomingdale’s Parking Lot (1961 Chain Bridge Road) — Enjoy Vietnamese culture, music, food, and activities at the annual VietFest. There is food, fun, and entertainment for all on Saturday and Sunday (11 a.m.-8 p.m.) Check the website for more details on the event.
Photo via Steve Klamkin/Facebook