McLean Community Center Executive Director George Sachs will retire next year, MCC Marketing and Communications Director Sabrina Anwah confirmed to Tysons Reporter yesterday (Monday).
Sachs has served in the role for more than a decade, a tenure that includes overseeing the massive, $8 million renovation of the community center’s Ingleside Avenue facility that was completed in December 2018.
While more details about Sachs’s decision to retire likely won’t come until the new year, MCC has put out an advertisement for the position on the Fairfax County government’s job database.
As the MCC’s chief administrative officer, the executive director plans, organizes, and manages the agency’s facilities, programs, and services, which range from community events and classes to musical and dramatic performances at the 386-seat Alden Theatre.
According to the job posting, the executive director is also responsible for hiring and training both professional and volunteer staff, supervising MCC’s website and public communications, reviewing the budget, and serving as a liaison to elected officials as well as local public and private groups, among other duties.
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in arts administration, recreation administration, or a closely related field; plus five years of progressively responsible supervisory experience administering diversified recreational or cultural programs, preferably in a large recreational or cultural facility. A master’s degree may be substituted for one year of the required experience.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
The following must be obtained within 90 days of employment:
- First Aid
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to foster a healthy organization and encourage teamwork and collaboration.
- Demonstrated success and experience in recreation operations, planning and programming.
- Ability to identify and mitigate risk in operations.
- Experience with budget development and management.
- Ability to oversee a robust communications and marketing strategy.
- Experience overseeing capital projects and improvements.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.).
- Knowledge of virtual meeting and conferencing platforms.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- The appointee to the position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check, credit check, and Child Protective Services check.
- Must be able to communicate with others verbally and in writing.
The job posting notes that the position requires frequent evening meetings, along with occasional weekend and holiday work. Applicants may also be required to lift up to 15 pounds, and while the job “is generally sedentary in nature,” the ability to read and work on a computer is essential.
The advertised salary range is between $95,447 and $159,078 annually.
The posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 15. MCC will hold panel interviews to select its next executive director.
The weekend is almost here. Before you peek into the spirit realm or head to bed for some much-needed sleep, let’s revisit recent news from the Tysons area that you…
The Fairfax County Department of Transportation has extended the Oct. 18 deadline for its community survey on proposed changes to bus service in Centreville, Chantilly, Vienna, Tysons, and neighboring areas,…
Portales Aloso waited an hour on Tuesday (Oct. 19) for a Metro train from Reston into D.C. The wait on Wednesday was 20 minutes. He was among countless commuters in…
Luxury electric vehicle manufacturer Lucid Motors passed a crucial step yesterday (Wednesday) toward getting its first service and delivery center in the D.C. area. The company is seeking to open…