Legal Review: Do You Need a Motorcycle License?

In short, yes. To apply for a Class M driver’s license (motorcycle license), all individuals must take a motorcycle safety course that has been approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), before passing a motorcycle driving test at the DMV.

You must also pay a fee to receive the license. In Texas, it is $25 for a new license, $33 for a renewal, or $16 for an endorsement. This endorsement is an alternative to getting a specific motorcycle license and allows drivers who already have licenses to add a specific motorcycle tag onto that driver’s license.

Rules for Minors

All minors must carry a motorcycle permit until they turn 18 and are then able to apply for a motorcycle license. This permit is similar to the learner’s permit for driving a car in that all permit-holders must demonstrate their competence by driving a certain number of hours with a licensed adult before getting their license.

In Texas, you could apply for a permit from the age of 15, but are only able to drive a motorcycle with no more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement. This restriction is removed when the permit holder turns 16. To apply for a permit, all minors must:

  1. Present a Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R) completion certificate
  2. Present
    1. A Class C Provisional license, or
    2. A Driver Education form (DE-964) verifying 32 classroom hours, or a completion certificate, or
    3. A Class C learner license and a DE-964 showing completion of a 32 hour driver education course
  3. Present a signed high-school Verification of Enrollment and Attendance (VOE) form
  4. Be accompanied by a Parent, who must provide an authorization signature
  5. Pass the mandatory skills exam

Can You Register a Motorcycle Without a License?

Technically, you do not need a motorcycle to register a motorcycle, but you do need motorcycle insurance. Since most insurance companies require a license to get coverage, it could be more difficult to register your motorcycle without a license. Though there are insurance companies that might sell you coverage without a license, they would most likely charge a higher premium.

Penalties for Driving a Motorcycle Without a License

Driving a motorcycle without a license could result in penalties such as a fine or even jail time. Penalties increase with each repeated offense, so avoiding a small license fee initially could wind up costing you hundreds or even thousands of dollars down the line. It is not realistic to assume that you would never get pulled over, even if you have a history of safe and reasonable driving, so it is better to get the license just in case.

Do You Need a Motorcycle License to Drive Mopeds or Scooters?

This answer typically depends on the size of the moped or scooter. If your moped or scooter has an engine that is over 50 cubic centimeters (cc), most states require you to have a motorcycle license or a driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement. Scooters usually require registration and a motorcycle license, as these vehicles often have engines that are 150cc or smaller. However, mopeds with engine sizes smaller than 50cc do not require a motorcycle license or registration.

Contact an Attorney

If you have any questions about the complex rules and regulations of getting a motorcycle or registering your bike, contact an experienced accident lawyer at Felix Gonzalez Law Firm for assistance today.

Recent Stories

Existing public facilities are in red, while planned ones are blue (via Fairfax County) Fairfax County has made some progress over the past decade in introducing public amenities to support…

Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in Vienna. You can follow Laura on Instagram at @LauraSchwartzRealtor or her Facebook page. Laura can be reached at 703-283-6120 or [email protected] GO…

(Updated at 1:05 p.m.) A power outage has left construction workers on a high-rise in Tysons stranded 13 stories in the air. Fairfax County Fire and Rescue units are on…

The GW Parkway is being temporarily widened for a project to rehabilitate its northern section (courtesy NPS) Here’s more on what to expect during this stage of construction from NPS:…

Chris Green is one of the DMV’s finest fitness instructors. A Lululemon and South Block ambassador, he is a coach and mentor to so many. He embodies grace, positivity and motivation in ways that no one else can. If we could all learn a thing or two from him, the world would be a much better place. He does so much for others, and does so with a smile on his face 99% of the time.

He recently ruptured his Achilles and has an incredibly long and tough journey ahead. As if COVID hadn’t impacted fitness professionals enough, throw this in the mix and it’s a double, even triple whammy. CG is no longer able to work and do what he loves for the time being because of this and we’d love your support.

Read More

Submit your own Community Post here for just $99.

The Rhea Baker State Farm Agency is proud to support Shelter House in providing safe places to be during quarantine. Shelter House’s mission is to prevent and end homelessness and domestic violence. Right now they are providing over 200 hotel rooms to those in need in our community. In the past year, across all programs, Shelter House served nearly 500 households comprised of over 1,500 individuals, 60% of which were children.

Of the households that exited shelter, over 70% moved to permanent housing. The Baker Agency has served Vienna and Tysons residents and business owners since 2007 and proudly offers insurance solutions for you home, condo, auto insurance, life insurance and more. We offer complimentary reviews and coach teen drivers to safer, better drivers, and to help keep your auto insurance rates down! We are always happy to talk or text at 703-847-6880.

Submit your own Community Post here for just $99.


Subscribe to our mailing list