Laura Schwartz is a licensed Realtor in VA, D.C. and MD with McEnearney Associates in McLean. Reach the office at 703-790-9090.
Quite possibly my favorite weekend to be a Vienna resident happens on Memorial Day weekend (May 25-27) — ViVa Vienna!
The event spans both sides of Church Street from Lawyers Road to Mill Street, from 10 a.m.-10 p.m. (until 6 p.m. on Monday). You’ll find rides and games for kids, all the fair food you can eat, live music and entertainment. On Sunday and Monday you’ll also see Church Street lined with booths/vendors.
My family ends up going at least 2 days because it’s so much fun and my kids love it! Here’s are some tips to help you enjoy the wonderful chaos ViVa Vienna brings!
- If you’re not a fan of crowds, go on Saturday before the vendors set up. It’s a little calmer, a little less crowded and you’ll end up coming home with less “stuff” that people like to grab as the vendors give away freebies.
- Check out the Entertainment Lineup ahead of time if you’re looking for a specific performance group (Vienna Singing Princess are a fan favorite — they do face painting at this event as well).
- Parking is a nightmare! You can use one of the shuttle services provided or try to park near Vienna Elementary/Center Street. Park on the south side of Maple Avenue and walk across.
- There are plenty of port-o-potties setup for bathroom use all over Church Street/Mill Street.
- Bring cash to pay for ride tickets (get a free one here). The line is always shorter if you can pay with cash instead of credit.
- The event is held rain or shine!
- The event made the Cooking Chanel Carnival Eats Episode, highlighting the pierogis and crab dip.
- Follow ViVa Vienna on Facebook to get updated on special events (like the Caps!).