Fairfax County is under a Dense Fog Advisory this morning.
From the National Weather Service:
…DENSE FOG ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EDT THIS MORNING…
* VISIBILITIES…One quarter mile or less at times.
* IMPACTS…Areas of dense fog will cause sudden reductions in visibility and rapidly changing conditions.
A Dense Fog Advisory means visibilities will frequently be reduced to less than one quarter mile. If driving, slow down, use your headlights, and leave plenty of distance ahead of you.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue published the following tips for driving in foggy weather this morning.
A foggy start to Columbus Day this morning! There is a Dense Fog Advisory in effect until 10 a.m. Drive safely out there as our firefighters and paramedics do not want to meet you by “accident” this morning.
When driving this morning, please keep the following driving in fog safety tips, from the National Weather Service, in mind:
- Slow down and allow extra time to reach your destination.
- Make your vehicle visible to others both ahead of you and behind you by using your low-beam headlights since this means your taillights will also be on. Use fog lights if you have them.
- Never use your high-beam lights. Using high beam lights causes glare, making it more difficult for you to see what’s ahead of you on the road.
- Leave plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you to account for sudden stops or changes in the traffic pattern.
- To ensure you are staying in the proper lane, follow the lines on the road with your eyes.
- In extremely dense fog where visibility is near zero, the best course of action is to first turn on your hazard lights, then simply pull into a safe location such as a parking lot of a local business and stop.
Fairfax County Public Schools School-based COVID-19 vaccination clinics for elementary school-aged children could be set up as soon as mid-November, Fairfax County Public Schools officials say. As reported to the…
A local chiropractic doctor recently surrendered his license after allegedly engaging in sexual misconduct with six patients. The move came just under a year after the Virginia Board of Medicine…
Meet Charlie, a brown German short-haired pointer whose manners will never prompt his owners to cry “good grief!” Though his past is unclear, his friends at Alexandria’s Mid-Atlantic GSP Rescue…
(Updated at 11:40 a.m.) Police say they’re looking for help after a shooter tried to rob and then attacked a man this morning in West Falls Church. The 73-year-old man…